FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Common HVAC Questions
- What is the Meaning of HVAC?
- HVAC stands for “heating, ventilation and air conditioning.”
- If I don’t use certain rooms of the house, should I close the register or door to conserve air conditioning?
- No. Air conditioning systems are programmed to cool and/or heat a certain number of square feet. When the registers, or doors, are closed, it disrupts the flow of air, and can cause the air conditioning to run inefficiently. Closed registers and doors means that your air conditioning will work harder, by turning on and off more frequently.
- If I want to hide my outside unit, how close can I plant shrubs?
- According to air conditioning manufacturers, 18 inches will allow enough room for the unit to function properly. To operate at their best, air conditioners and heat pumps need intake and exhaust air. Without enough ventilation, the outside unit could overheat, requiring service.
- Is there a set temperature at which I should set my thermostat?
- The temperature of your thermostat really depends on your preference, and what feels comfortable. Summertime thermostat temperatures are usually somewhere around 78-80 degrees, while winter time thermostat temperatures can run around 68-72 degrees. It’s best to keep your thermostat at a fairly level temperature. If you are leaving the house, don’t raise it more than 5 degrees beyond what you would normally set it at. Air conditioners that have to work overtime, turning on and off frequently, tend to need frequent service.
- Why is a programmable thermostat the best option?
- Programmable thermostats are electric, which allows you to set a much more exact temperature than mercury thermostats. You can also automatically change the temperature very easily throughout the day without even being home.
- Why is it important to schedule precision tune-ups for my heating or cooling system?
- Regularly scheduled tune-ups ensure that your heating or cooling system is running as efficiently as it should. Staying on top of any potential issues means less repair work, lower energy bills, and a safer system for your health.
- What is the cost of a new HVAC system?
- There are so many different makers and models available, that it completely depends on what is right for your home. Your home’s needs would need to be evaluated for a price suggestion.
- What do I do if I can’t afford a new HVAC system?
- Scott’s One Hour offers different financing options, so we will work with you to determine which plan will best suit your needs.
- Will I be eligible for the Federal Tax Credit if I purchase a new heating and air conditioning system?
- Although the final word on whether your new air conditioning is eligible for the Federal Tax Credit belongs to your tax accountant, Scott’s One Hour installs Federal Tax Credit eligible heating and air conditioning systems every day. We provide you with the paperwork necessary to prove installation of a qualifying system. Just for further clarification, the Federal Tax Credit is worth 30% of the installed cost, with a maximum credit of $1500. Remember, this is not a deduction, but a credit.
- Should I buy an extended warranty on my new HVAC system, and why?
- Scott’s One Hour highly recommends purchasing the extended warranty, although the choice is completely up to the homeowners. Many manufacturers are offering 10 year warranties on the parts of the heating and cooling system, so buying an extended warranty with the company that installed your air conditioning ensures that any labor to replace the parts will be covered. Often, the cost of the labor to replace just one part would be more expensive than just having bought the warranty.
- What is S.E.E.R. and why is it important?
- S.E.E.R. stands for “Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio.” It is the measurement of energy efficiency of an air conditioning system. Basically, you can liken it to the MPG of a car. The higher the number, the more efficient the air conditioning system. As of January 2006, all newly installed residential HVAC systems have to have a S.E.E.R. rating of 13 or higher.
Call to Schedule an Appointment Today! 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed